Android 11/R Developer Preview 4 now available!
2nd September 2020: We've added the forum post link for 8-series DP4.
31st August 2020: 8-series devices have just received Developer Preview 4. Switch to the "Android 11/R Developer Preview" update method in the app's settings. Other devices haven't yet received any Android 11/R Developer Preview yet.
12th August 2020: 8-series devices have just received Developer Preview 3. Switch to the "Android 11/R Developer Preview" update method in the app's settings. Other devices haven't yet received any Android 11/R Developer Preview yet.
14th July 2020: 8-series devices have just received Developer Preview 2. Switch to the "Android 11/R Developer Preview" update method in the app's settings. Other devices haven't yet received any Android 11/R Developer Preview yet.
OnePlus had released the first Developer Preview of Android 11/R, the next upcoming Android Version made by Google. It was only available for 8-series devices. They got DP2 on 14th July, DP3 on 12th August, and now, the 8-series devices have got the 4th Developer Preview as well.
DP4 was made available by OTA on 31st August 2020, and the corresponding forum post was published on 2nd September 2020 by OnePlus. The funny thing is that OnePlus claimed DP3 would be the final build for 8-series, as they would soon get their first Open Beta (September/October). Maybe OnePlus changed their mind - which could mean that Open Beta builds may be delayed. Here's the changelog of DP4:
- Optimized display effects with some UI
- Optimized the lagging issue under some settings
- Optimized the stability with the upload of log in Community
- Optimized delayed response issue with pull-down of the status bar
- Fixed the crash/reboot issue under some settings
- Fixed the all black issue with status bar in dark mode
- Fixed the bug that system cannot be re-started after OTA upgrade
- Fixed the disabled "save" feature of screenshot
- Newly added gaming tools box for convenient switches of Fnatic mode, WeChat, QQ and Screen Recorder at one place (enable it by swiping down from upper right/left corners of the screen in gaming mode)
- Newly added mis-touch prevention feature. Enable it, swipe down from the top of the screen, click and the notification bar will pop out
- Fixed the abnormal increase of brightness when entering the Gallery
- Fixed the incomplete screenshot issue in some cases
- Fixed the issue that background of weather did not display
- Improved the performance and stability of network transfers
It looks like DP4 is mostly meant as a bugfix build, as the changelog claims to have fixed a lot of performance and system stability-related issues that users were facing in DP3. If you were on DP3 and didn't like it, maybe give this a try - might give you a better experience. We can consider DP4 as the final iteration of OxygenOS 11, that we talked about in this article.
At this time, only the 8-series devices can install this DP. We will update this article and send notifications again, in case more devices get supported.
If you received a notification about this article and you don't own an 8-series device, we sincerely apologize.
The preview is a way for enthusiasts and developers to explore the latest and greatest in terms of Android versions. However, it is NOT stable at all. So it's not recommended to install this on your main phone. Do NOT install if you don't have previous experience in beta testing.
Which devices support the preview?
- OnePlus 8 (all variants except carrier-branded e.g. TMO/VZW)
- OnePlus 8 Pro (all variants except carrier-branded e.g. TMO/VZW)
Other devices (7T-series, 7-series, etc) may get the Android 11/R Developer Preview soon.
Where can I get the preview?
Installing the preview ERASES all files, photos and other contents from your phone. Make sure to backup all important stuff before your proceed!
Before installing, please ensure your battery level is at least 30% and you have at least 3GB space left on your device.
You can install the preview using this app itself (switch to the "Android 11/R Developer Preview" update method - you might have to enable "Advanced mode" as well) or by visiting the forum thread listed below:
- OnePlus 8-series: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/android-11-developer-preview-4-for-the-oneplus-8-series.1291280/
Can I revert to the stable version of OxygenOS?
Yes, please read the forum thread of your device as linked above for detailed instructions. Rolling back will completely wipe all your data, so please take a backup before proceeding.
Below are the rollback/downgrade packages for each 8-series device. Make sure you choose the correct rollback package for your device and region. We are providing these links purely for your convenience, as rolling back isn't natively supported by our app. After downloading the correct rollback package, move the file from the "Downloads" directory to the topmost directory of internal storage (the same directory that the "Downloads" folder is in). Then, open Settings -> System -> System updates -> cog icon in the top right -> Local Upgrade, and choose the rollback package.
The following packages will rollback your device to the currently latest Android 10 stable version, and will wipe all your data. These are not the packages you should download if you're looking to update to Android 11/R. For that, close this news article and change your update method to "Android 11/R Developer Preview" in the app's settings.
- OnePlus 8:
- OnePlus 8 Pro:
Please take great care in downloading the rollback package meant ONLY for your specific device and region.
Thumbnail and image credits: Google/AOSP/OnePlus