This article primarily concerns only 8-series devices, since these are the only devices that have received the first stable OxygenOS 11 update so far. Other devices will most likely get OOS11 soon, in the form of an Open Beta - likely in this order: 7T-series, 7-series, 6/6T. Nord devices will also get OOS11 but we're not sure when.
Note: if you're already on OB2, you don't need to switch to the stable update track, since there will still be future Open Beta updates. That's how it works - Open Beta and stable will both keep receiving new updates until devices are End-of-Life (EOL, which will be 2-3 years from now). Of course, if you still wish to install the stable version then go ahead, and let us know how the experience is - you can join our Discord server.
However, we recommend staying on OB2 because this new stable OOS11 update seems to be quite similar to OB1 - which means the unique Ambient Display "Canvas" feature isn't part of this update (it's only in Open Beta 2 so far).
We wrote about 8-series devices getting OOS11 - they first got it as a Developer Preview, and was promoted to Open Beta soon after. Now, these devices just got the first stable update for OxygenOS 11. You can read our previous articles to know more about what OxygenOS 11 brings to the table. Scroll down to the end of the article for installation instructions.
OnePlus has posted a forum post announcing stable OxygenOS 11 as well. As a refresher, OB2 was released on 24th September 2020, which means it took only a little more than 2 weeks for OOS11 to be promoted to stable. The changelog is very similar to OB1. We've italicized new/different lines compared to OB1 & OB2 changelog:
- Fresh new UI visual design brings you more comfortable experience with various optimizations of details
- Brand new weather UI supports dynamic switches between sunrise and sunset. You can have day and night at your hand now
- Optimize the stability of some third-party applications and improve user experience
- Game Space
- Newly added gaming tools box for convenient switches of Fnatic mode. You can now choose three ways of notifications: text-only, heads up and block, just for your immersive gaming experience
- Newly added quick reply feature in a small window for WhatsApp and INS (Enable it by swiping down from upper right/left corners of the screen in gaming mode)
- Newly added mis-touch prevention feature. Enable it, swipe down from the top of the screen, click and the notification bar will pop out
- Ambient Display
- Added Always-on ambient Display function, custom Schedule/All day option included. Path: Settings – Display – Ambient Display
- Newly added Insight clock style, a joint creation with Parsons School of Design. It will change according to the phone usage data ( To set: Settings > Customization > Clock Style)
- Newly added 10 new clock styles (To set: Settings > Customization > Clock Style)
- Dark Mode
- Added the shortcut key for Dark Mode, pull down the quick setting to enable.
- Supporting automatically turn on feature & customize time range. path: Settings – Display – Dark Mode – Turn on automatically – Automatically enable from sunset to sunrise / Custom time range.
- Zen Mode
- Added 5 new themes (ocean, space, grassland, and so on), and more timing options.
- Included the Group feature in Zen Mode, now you can invite your friends and enable the Zen Mode together
- Supporting Story function, automatically form weekly videos with photos and video in storage
- Optimize the loading speed of the gallery, and the image preview is faster
Based on the changelog, it seems like the Ambient Display "Canvas" feature isn't included in this stable OOS11 update. If you install this update, do let us know if this feature is part of this update or not, since it was introduced in OB2. So far the people we've talked to claim "Canvas" isn't part of this stable OOS11 update.
This is what the Ambient Display "Canvas" feature is supposed to be:
The Ambient Display "Canvas" feature. Image credit: XDA
With this feature, you can quickly create a wireframe-version of the image you choose, which will be displayed on your lockscreen while Ambient Display is active. We personally love this feature and it certainly makes OnePlus' Ambient Display different from all the other OEM implementations. If you want to learn more about this feature, either install OB2 and play around with it or check these articles:
- AndroidPolice: OnePlus just upped the ambient display ante with OxygenOS 11 Open Beta 2 for OP8 phones
- XDA: OxygenOS 11 Beta 2 (Android 11) rolls out for the OnePlus 8 series with a new “Canvas” feature
At this time, only the 8-series devices can install this update. We will write an article and send notifications again, in case more devices receive stable OOS11.
If you received a notification about this article and you don't own an 8-series device, we sincerely apologize.
Which devices support stable OxygenOS 11?
- OnePlus 8 (all variants except carrier-branded e.g. TMO/VZW)
- OnePlus 8 Pro (all variants except carrier-branded e.g. TMO/VZW)
Other devices (7T-series, 7-series, etc) may get OOS 11 soon in the form of an Open Beta update.
Where can I install OOS11?
This is meant only for 8-series devices - it WILL NOT WORK for other devices. If you were on OB1 or OB2 previously, we recommend taking a backup of your data just to be safe.
Before installing, please ensure your battery level is at least 30% and you have at least 3GB space left on your device. If you encounter any bugs in OOS11, make sure you report them to OnePlus.
You can install the update using this app itself. If you are rooted or have an unlocked bootloader, select the "Full update" method. Otherwise "Incremental update" is better suited. You might have to enable "Advanced mode" as well, if you are currently on a non-stable track - remember to turn advanced mode off after you install the update!