Great news today, folks. After a short testing period of just 1 Open Beta based on Android 10, OnePlus has already released the official (stable) update to Android Q for the OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T. This is the stable version, so it's meant for everybody and should not contain major bugs or issues.
Read below to see what's new, and more detailed instructions on how to install it if you are currently using the beta version.
The new Android Q update contains many improvements, and comes with the following changelog:
- Upgraded to Android 10
- Brand new UI design
- Enhanced location permissions for privacy
- New customization feature in Settings allowing you to choose icon shapes to be displayed in the Quick Settings
- Full Screen Gestures
- Added inward swipes from the left or right edge of the screen to go back
- Added a bottom navigation bar to allow switching left or right for recent apps
- Game Space
- New Game Space feature now joins all your favorite games in one place for easier access and better gaming experience
- Contextual Display
- Intelligent info based on specific times, locations and events for Ambient Display (Settings - Display - Ambient Display - Smart Display)
- Now possible to block spam by keywords for Message (Messages - Spam - Settings -Blocking settings)
How do I get it?
OnePlust just started rolling out the update for the OnePlus 6T and is available in Oxygen Updater and will soon be rolled-out for the OnePlus 6 as well (this means it's not in our app yet. We'll get our hands on it as soon as possible). You can also install it via the regular system updates app, if you prefer to get it that way. Go ahead and install it right away, and explore the new system update to discover all its features and improvements
For users running the regular / stable version of OxygenOS
You only have to download and install the update using Oxygen Updater. That shouldn't be that hard, right?
For users running the Open Beta or the Android Q developer preview (previously named "Android Q beta" in Oxygen Updater):
You can still install the final version, but you'll have to factory reset your device and switch the update method of the app to either Full or Incremental update afterwards. That can be done by tapping the three dots in the top right of Oxygen Updater, choosing Settings and selecting a new update method on that screen.
What don't we support?
We don't support T-Mobile versions.
As general advice, backup your data before updating as it's good practice.
Rooted users: disable any Magisk modules you might have installed as they might not be compatible with Android Q and therefore lead to a bootloop.