OnePlus 9RT went on sale on 14th January 2022 (came with OxygenOS 11 out-of-the-box). OxygenOS 12 Closed Beta program for the 9RT was announced on 6th May 2022 — making Open Beta 1 just ~1.5 months later. It is the sixth set of OnePlus devices to receive an update to OxygenOS 12 (Nord 2 was the fifth, original Nord was the fourth, 8-series & 8T were the third, 9R was the second; 9 & 9 Pro the first). All these devices, with the exception of original Nord, have received stable OOS12 builds.
OOS12 Open Beta 1 changelog (9RT)
- New design
- Optimized desktop icons with improved textures, by using a design inspired by brand-new materials and uniting lights and layers
- Newly added Quick launch, a feature that detects the apps you use frequently and pre-loads them so you can open them quickly
- Newly added a chart to display your battery usage
- Optimized the auto brightness algorithm to adapt screen brightness to more scenes for a comfortable screen reading experience
- Dark mode
- Newly supported three adjustable levels, bringing a more personalized and comfortable user experience
- Newly added style options for Cards, making data contents more visual and easier to read
- Newly added Earphone Control Card with Bluetooth earphone one-click adjustment
- Newly added access to OnePlus Scout in Shelf, allowing you to search multiple contents on your phone, including Apps, Settings, Media Data, etc
- Newly added OnePlus Watch Card in Shelf, to easily glance at your health status
- Work Life Balance
- Newly added Work Life Balance feature, allowing you to effortlessly switch between Work and Life mode via quick settings
- Supported automatic Work/Life mode switching, based on specific locations, Wi-Fi network, and time, also bringing customized App notification profiles according to the personalization
- Newly supported switching between different layouts with a two-finger pinch gesture, intelligently recognizing the best-quality pictures, and cropping the thumbnail based on the content, making the gallery layout more pleasing
- Canvas AOD
- Newly added diverse styles of lines and colors, for a more personalized lock screen experience with inspiring visuals
- Newly added multiple brushes and strokes and support for color adjustment
- Optimized the gaming experience in team fight scenes
- Newly added the HyperBoost end-to-end frame rate stabilizer
- Optimized the display of camera modes on the menu bar
- Optimized the experience of zooming in or out when shooting videos with rear camera
- Newly added visuals to text instructions for an intuitive understanding of accessibility functions
- Newly supported more system apps in TalkBack, including Photos, Phone, Mail, and Calendar
- Optimized categorization of functions by grouping them into vision, hearing, interactive actions, and general
Although you may be hyped by OxygenOS 12 now being available for your device, do remember that this is beta software (as proven by known issues list) and that as such, you accept any risks by installing this update. Furthermore, you're expected to report bugs to OnePlus directly via community app. Do also mind that switching back to stable OxygenOS 11 at any point will require a full data wipe, so don't get excited and jump into OB1 without considering all its pros and cons.
The 9RT was released only in India (and China, but that runs ColorOS), so there is no separate global/EU build.
How can I install OB1?
This is meant only for the 9RT — it WILL NOT WORK for other devices. Since this is a beta update, make sure to backup all important data before your proceed as it may not be stable!
Before installing, please ensure your battery level is at least 30% and you have at least 3GB space left on your device. If you encounter any bugs in OB1, make sure you report them to OnePlus. Also, you need to be at least on OxygenOS 11 A.08 before installing OB1.
You can install the beta using this app itself: close this article, open the app's settings, and switch to one of the "Open Beta" update method — you might have to enable "Advanced mode" as well. Then go back to the main screen of the app, and you'll be able to download OB1. You can check the forum thread listed below for more information:
- OnePlus 9RT: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygenos-12-open-beta-1-for-the-oneplus-9rt.1598013/
Can I revert to the stable version of OxygenOS?
Yes, please read the forum thread of your device as linked above for detailed instructions. Rolling back will completely wipe all your data, so please take a backup before proceeding.
Below is the rollback/downgrade packages for the OnePlus 9RT. Make sure you choose the correct rollback package for your device and region. We are providing these links purely for your convenience, as rolling back isn't natively supported by our app. After downloading the correct rollback package, move the file from the "Downloads" directory to the topmost directory of internal storage (the same directory that the "Downloads" folder is in).
Then, open Settings -> About device -> Version and tap "Build number" 7 times. This will enable Android's built-in "developer mode" (you might have to enter your phone's PIN/password too). Once this is done, "Local upgrade" will once again be visible in Settings -> About device -> Software update -> top-right button.
The following packages will rollback your device to OxygenOS 11.3, and will wipe all your data.
- OnePlus 9RT:
Remember: these are rollback packages — they're not the packages you should download if you're looking to switch to Open Beta. For that, close this news article and change your update method to "Open Beta (full)" in the app's settings, and enable advanced mode as well.