OnePlus Nord CE went on sale on 10th June 2021, and came with OxygenOS 11 out-of-the-box. Its OxygenOS 12 Closed Beta program was announced on 8th May 2022, meaning it took them ~1.5 months to bring Open Beta 1. Along with the 7- & 7T-series, it is the seventh set of OnePlus devices to receive an update to OxygenOS 12 (9RT was the sixth, Nord 2 was the fifth, original Nord was the fourth, 8-series & 8T were the third, 9R was the second; 9 & 9 Pro the first). All these devices — with the exception of 9RT — have received stable OOS12 builds.
OOS12.1 Open Beta 1 changelog (Nord CE)
- Optimized desktop icons with improved textures, by using a design inspired by brand-new materials and uniting lights and layers
- Optimized AI System Booster to 2.1 to support the system to run smoothly even when the load is high
- Dark mode
- Newly added three adjustable levels, bringing a more personalized and comfortable user experience
- Newly added style options for Cards, making data contents more visual and easier to read
- Newly added access to OnePlus Scout in Shelf, allowing you to search multiple contents on your phone, including Apps, Settings, Media Data, etc
- Newly added OnePlus Watch Card in Shelf, to easily glance at your health status
- Work Life Balance
- Newly added Work Life Balance feature, allowing you to effortlessly switch between Work and Life mode via quick settings
- Newly supported automatic Work/Life mode switching, based on specific locations, Wi-Fi network, and time, also bringing customized App notification profiles according to the personalization
- Newly supported switching between different layouts with a two-finger pinch gesture, intelligently recognizing the best-quality pictures, and cropping the thumbnail based on the content, making the gallery layout more pleasing
- Canvas AOD
- Newly added diverse styles of lines and colors, for a more personalized lock screen experience with inspiring visuals
- Newly added multiple brushes and strokes and support for color adjustment
Although you may be hyped by OxygenOS 12.1 now being available for your device, do remember that this is beta software (as proven by known issues list) and that as such, you accept any risks by installing this update. Furthermore, you're expected to report bugs to OnePlus directly via community app. Do also mind that switching back to stable OxygenOS 11 at any point will require a full data wipe, so don't get excited and jump into OB1 without considering all its pros and cons.
Additionally, this Open Beta is meant only for Nord CE's Indian variant.
How can I install OB1?
This is meant only for the 7- & 7T-series — it WILL NOT WORK for other devices. Since this is a beta update, make sure to backup all important data before your proceed as it may not be stable!
Before installing, please ensure your battery level is at least 30% and you have at least 3GB space left on your device. If you encounter any bugs in OB1, make sure you report them to OnePlus. Also, you need to be at least on OxygenOS 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52 before installing OOS12.1 OB1.
You can install the beta using this app itself: close this article, open the app's settings, and switch to one of the "Open Beta" update method — you might have to enable "advanced mode" as well. Then go back to the main screen of the app, and you'll be able to download OB1. You can check the forum thread listed below for more information:
- OnePlus Nord CE: https://community.oneplus.com/thread?id=1100328722948947970
Can I revert to the stable version of OxygenOS?
Yes, please read the forum thread of your device as linked above for detailed instructions. Rolling back will completely wipe all your data, so please take a backup before proceeding.
Below is the rollback/downgrade packages for the OnePlus Nord CE. Make sure you choose the correct rollback package for your device and region. We are providing these links purely for your convenience, as rolling back isn't natively supported by our app. After downloading the correct rollback package, move the file from the "Downloads" directory to the topmost directory of internal storage (the same directory that the "Downloads" folder is in).
Then, open Settings -> About device -> Version and tap "Build number" 7 times. This will enable Android's built-in "developer mode" (you might have to enter your phone's PIN/password too). Once this is done, "Local upgrade" will once again be visible in Settings -> About device -> Software update -> top-right button.
The following packages will rollback your device to OxygenOS 184.108.40.206, and will wipe all your data. OnePlus provided rollback ZIPs only for India, since they released OB only for those devices.
Remember: these are rollback packages — they're not the packages you should download if you're looking to switch to Open Beta. For that, close this news article and change your update method to "Open Beta (full)" in the app's settings.
Source: Nord CE