- Abnormal display of charging prompt on the lock screen
- An error displayed when adding friends with the line app cannot be handled normally
- The timing function of the life mode is not displayed normally
- Black screen would happen while opening the camera in the chat of messenger
The 9R, however, has a different list:
- Charging icon is displayed abnormally on the lock screen in some scenarios
- The voice-to-text function cannot be opened by gestures in some scenarios
- In order to use the Jio 5G function, your device needs to be rebooted again after the upgrade
OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro launched on 14th April 2020, and the 8T followed later that year on 14th October. 9R debuted on 23rd March 2021. Both the 8T and the 9R came with OxygenOS 11 out-of-the-box, while the 8 & 8 Pro had OxygenOS 10 to start with. All of them received OOS12 as an Open Beta together, at the end of February 2022 (23rd for the 9R, 24th for the 8, 8 Pro, and 8T), which came to the stable track on 22nd March. OnePlus had opened up applications to the OxygenOS 13 Closed Beta program back in August (8 & 8 Pro: 13th; 8T & 9R: 19th), meaning it took them ~2 months to bring OOS13 Open Beta 1.
Note that this build is meant for Indian devices, and it brings support for Airtel 5G (one of India's largest carriers). We're not sure if it also supports 5G in any of the other ones.
OxygenOS 13 Open Beta 1 changelog
- Aquamorphic Design
- Adds Aquamorphic Design theme colors for enhanced visual comfort
- Applies the Aquamorphic Design philosophy to animations to make them natural and vivid
- Adds Shadow-Reflective Clock, with shadow simulating the orientation of the sun and moon
- Upgrades to Quantum Animation Engine 4.0, with a new behavior recognition feature, which recognizes complex gestures and provides optimized interactions
- Optimizes UI layers for a clearer and neater visual experience
- Applies real-world physical motions to animations to make them look more natural and intuitive
- Adapts responsive layouts to accommodate different screen sizes to improve readability
- Optimizes the widget design to make information easier and quicker to find
- Optimizes fonts for better readability
- Optimizes system icons by using the latest color scheme to make the icons easier to recognize
- Enriches and optimizes illustrations for features by incorporating multicultural and inclusive elements
- Adds Meeting Assistant to enhance the meeting connecting and note-taking experience, and introduces an option to make notifications more subtle and less distracting
- Adds large folders to the Home screen. You can now open an app in an enlarged folder with just one tap and turn pages in the folder with a swipe.
- Adds media playback control, and optimizes the Quick Settings experience
- Adds more markup tools for screenshot editing
- Upgrades Doodle in Notes. You can now draw on graphics to take notes more efficiently.
- Optimizes Shelf. Swiping down on the Home screen will bring up Shelf by default. You can search content online and on your device.
- Seamless interconnection
- Optimizes earphone connectivity to deliver a more seamless experience
- Optimizes Bitmoji to offer more Always-On Display animations
- Adds Omoji to let you fully express yourself with customized avatars
- Optimizes Insight Always-On Display, with more personalized Always-On Display settings available
- Optimizes Canvas Always-On Display, with more drawing tools and line colors available
- Security & privacy
- Adds an automatic pixelation feature for chat screenshots. The system can identify and automatically pixelate profile pictures and display names in a chat screenshot to protect your privacy.
- Adds regular clearing of clipboard data for privacy protection
- Optimizes Private Safe. The Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) is used to encrypt all files for enhanced security of private files.
- Health & Digital wellbeing
- Adds Kid Space, providing screen time limit, ambient light reminders, and Eye-protecting display features
- Gaming experience
- Upgrades to HyperBoost GPA 4.0 to stabilize the frame rate and balance the performance and power consumption in key scenarios
- Optimizes the pre-launch capabilities of Quick startup to load games faster
There are also known issues in this build, which we have reproduced below for your convenience:
- Abnormal display of charging prompt under screen lock
- Video below 300K resolution recorded by the camera cannot be sent via MMS
- More function icon in the editing interface of the control center is displayed incorrectly
Although you may be hyped by OxygenOS 13 now being available for your device, do remember that this is beta software (as proven by known issues list) and as such, you accept any risks by installing this update. Furthermore, you're expected to report bugs to OnePlus directly by dialing *#800# from the stock phone app. Alternatively, you can also submit feedback via this form. Do also mind that switching back to stable OxygenOS 12 at any point will require a full data wipe, so don't get excited and jump into a beta build without considering all its pros and cons.
OnePlus had posted an OxygenOS 13 FAQ in August, we recommend going through it: https://community.oneplus.com/thread?id=1131425685828009991.
How can I install this Open Beta build?
This is meant only for the 8/8 Pro/8T/9R — it WILL NOT WORK for other devices. Since this is a beta update, make sure to backup all important data before your proceed as it may not be stable!
Before installing, please ensure your battery level is at least 30% and you have at least 5.5GB space left on your device. If you encounter any bugs, make sure you report them to OnePlus. Also, it's recommend that you're on the latest version of OxygenOS 12 (C.35/C.36) before installing OOS13 OB2.
You can install the beta using this app itself: close this article, open the app's settings, and switch to one of the "Open Beta" update method — you might have to enable "advanced mode" as well. Then go back to the main screen of the app, and you'll be able to download F.10. You can check the forum thread listed below for more information:
- OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro: Open Beta 1, Open Beta 2
- OnePlus 8T: Open Beta 1, Open Beta 2
- OnePlus 9R: Open Beta 1, Open Beta 2
Can I revert to the stable version of OxygenOS 12?
Yes, please read the forum thread of your device as linked above for detailed instructions. Rolling back will completely wipe all your data, so please take a backup before proceeding.
Make sure you choose the correct rollback package for your device and region. We are providing these links purely for your convenience, as rolling back isn't natively supported by our app. After downloading the correct rollback package, move the file from the "Downloads" directory to the topmost directory of internal storage (the same directory that the "Downloads" folder is in).
Then, open Settings -> About device -> Version and tap "Build number" 7 times. This will enable Android's built-in "developer mode" (you might have to enter your phone's PIN/password too). Once this is done, "Local install" will once again be visible in Settings -> About device -> Software update -> top-right button.
The following packages will rollback your device to OxygenOS 12 (C.35), and will wipe all your data.
Remember: these are rollback packages — they're not the packages you should download if you're looking to switch to Open Beta. For that, close this news article and choose either of the "Open Beta" update methods in the app's settings.